Everyone needs sleep. Or we should say everyone needs enough sleep to function at their optimum levels. But most people are sleep deprived, and everything is suffering as a result.
In the US, 40 percent of Americans don’t sleep as much as they should. And the American Psychology Association, says that sleeping 60 to 90 minutes more every night can be beneficial to your health and emotional state. Plus, where you sleep affect your sleep quality and duration.
Hence your need for a smart mattress.
In 2017, the smart mattress market was worth $92 million, and with an annual growth rate of 8.51 percent, it’s expected to hit $135 million in 2022. One of the features of these beds is to track how much sleep you get at night; a vital metric to track given the role quality sleep plays in our lives.
Wearable fitness trackers don’t stand a chance against smart beds. The beds provide a richer experience and in-depth insight into your sleep and sleeping habits. Among other metrics, these smart beds monitor heart and breathing rates, and the body temperature too.
Here are five of the best smart mattresses in the market right now:
1. Eight Sleep Mars+
The Eight Sleep Mars+ is one of the four smart mattresses options in the Eight Sleep Collection. They tend to come with removable polyester-made covers with built-in trackers used to connect the foam to the wireless smart app. Mars+ is a hybrid of sorts because its comfort layers feature two levels of memory foam with a middle layer of transitional polyfoam.
What Makes the Eight Sleep Mars+ Stand Out?
The Mars+ is highly durable and firm, which means it should last at least six years with each nightly use. It’s pretty good at isolating motion – even though it’s not up to the level of the Jupiter and Saturn mattresses.
The hybrid construction helps relieve pressure in the hips and backs of its users. And it has a bit more bounce and responsiveness than the others, making it great for sex.
Other features include,
- Sleep Tracking: It tracks almost every factor of your sleep, including REM and deep sleep.
- Smart Alarm: it monitors sleep quality and determines the best time your body would respond to the alarm and trigger it.
- Controls Temperature: It regulates the temperature when the user gets cold or hot while sleeping.
What Needs Improvement in the Eight Sleep Mars+
It’s not entirely comfortable for heavyweight individuals who tend to sleep on their backs or stomachs.
- It’s great for regulating the temperature of the sleeper
- The sleep tracking technology makes it easy for users to monitor how long and well they sleep
- It provides a medium firm feel
- It’s great for couples
- It has a limited range of firmness and size selection
- The warranty coverage for the sleep tracker is minimal
2. ReST Bed
This bed responds to all your body’s needs while you sleep. ReST is equipped with special cooling and pressure devices that can be adjusted to fit your every need.
Just like the Eight Sleep mattress, the ReST bed can be connected to phones and other smart home products to access sleep data.
What Makes the ReST Bed Stand Out?
The ReST bed is currently considered to have the most advanced features for sleepers as it offers three different firmness customizations; Manual, Automatic, and Position Detection. The Automatic mode adjusts the mattresses firmness according to the preference of the user. The position detection adjusts the firmness to match changes in the sleeper’s position.
- The mattress cover is made from 100 percent Lycra spandex
- Over 2000 built-in sensors to monitor pressure sensitive areas of the sleeper’s body
- Tracks sleep patterns and activities
- It provides the user with access to sleep data.
What Needs Improvement in the ReST Bed
The airbed isn’t entirely comfortable for people weighing more than 230lbs who tend to sleep on their sides and stomachs.
- The mattress offers adjustable firmness
- Remote adjustments can be made with the ReST app on any tablet or smart device
- With prices ranging from $2,799 to $5,598, the ReST bed is considered quite expensive
- It doesn’t include free shipping when ordered directly from the company.
3. Eight Sleep Jupiter+
The Eight Sleep Jupiter+ is a memory foam bed that’s designed to accommodate petite to average sized people. Just like the other mattresses in the series, the Jupiter+ comes with a sleep tracking cover. It offers a medium firm feel.
What Makes the Eight Sleep Jupiter+ Stand Out?
It has four layers of foam; the 4” support layer, 2” transitional poly foam, 2” memory foam, and the 2” responsive synthetic latex foam. While the Eight Sleep isn’t latex foam, it has a layer that assumes its properties.
What Needs Improvement in the Eight Sleep Jupiter+
The mattress isn’t entirely supportive of heavyweight individuals.
- It’s quite durable
- It conforms to the body while sleeping and relieves pressure points
- It’s excellent at isolating motion
- Supports sleep-tracking technology
- Jupiter+ isn’t entirely comfortable for overweight individuals
- The sleep tracker has minimal warranty coverage
- There are limited firmness range and selection of mattress sizes
4. Sleep Number p5
The p5 is part of the Performance series in the Sleep Number collection. They’re one of the first brands of smart mattresses and airbeds. The p5 features comfort layers above the airbed system.
What Makes the Sleep Number p5 Stand Out?
The p5’s custom firmness helps relieve pressure and body pains in its users as it changes to suit the unique needs of the sleeper.
Other features include;
- Customized comfort for both partners
- Temperature regulation
- Motion isolation
What Needs Improvement in the Sleep Number p5
The durability of the p5 needs to be improved seeing as it tends to wear out faster than other airbed models.
- Supports sleep tracking
- Can customize firmness level
- It’s great for people suffering from back pains
- Supports every sleep position
- Available throughout the U.S at thousands of locations
- They’re usually prone to customization malfunctions
- The airbeds in the performance series tend to wear out fast
- It doesn’t have excellent edge support
5. Sleep Number c2
The c2 is one of the Classic series in the Sleep Number collection. The c2 is 8 inches thick and a two polyfoam comfort layer. The Classic sleep number beds are one of the lowest profile and least expensive smart bed models.
What Makes the Sleep Number c2 Stand Out?
The sleep number c2 is compatible with SleepIQ tracking technology. It also has automatic firmness adjustment and dual firmness. The dual firmness option makes the bed suitable for couples with different firmness preferences.
Other features include;
- It can absorb and minimize motion transfer
- Customizable air chambers that make the bed plusher or firm depending on the body composition of the user
What Needs Improvement in the Sleep Number c2
The durability of the c2 needs to be improved seeing as it tends to wear out faster than other airbed models. The edge support also needs improvement as the mattress often suffers from sinking.
- It’s excellent for any sleep position and weight group
- It supports sleep tracking
- Produces less odor than other mattress types
- They’re usually prone to customization malfunctions
- The classic series tends to wear out faster than other models
- It’s temperature neutral.
- No comfort layer
The 7 Ultimate Functions of a Smart Bed
Monitors when you fall asleep, wake up, duration of sleep, and positions among other things.
Automatic Mattress Firmness Adjustment
This feature allows users to control the firmness of the bed by decreasing or increasing the amount of air in each chamber.
Climate Control (Heating and Cooling)
Smart beds automatically adjust their temperatures to suit the needs of the sleeper.
Smart Fabric Technology
Monitors and adjusts temperature and pressure.
Adjustable Bed Bases
Various kinds of sleepers benefit significantly from these kinds of smart beds including heavy snorers, individuals with sleep apnea, and poor circulation.
Smart beds adjust sleeper’s bodies to stop snoring
Internet Of Things (IoT) and Smart Home Connectivity
Thanks to Amazon Echo’s Alexa, smart mattresses can be controlled through voice commands.
Best Smart Mattress: Eight Sleep Jupiter+
Jupiter+ provides great value for its price. Its unique sleep-tracking technology and durability set it apart from the other smart mattresses.
Smart Mattress Features and What They Do for You
Most smart mattresses tend to use memory foam or hybrid spring/foam. The memory foam is made from viscoelastic materials. And the hybrid combines innerspring and foam.
The core of the hybrid is made of pocketed innerspring while the top layer uses memory foam. Hybrid foams offer a considerable amount of bounce and can accommodate most weight classes.
Smart mattresses come in mostly king and queen-sized beds to accommodate users perfectly.
They allow users to position themselves in the most comfortable position possible. They’re great for relaxation and rejuvenation.
The smart apps control the various features of the smart mattresses; from monitoring sleep to temperature regulation.
They warm up the person when the temperature drops while sleeping.
This feature helps in cooling the individual when the temperature increases during sleep.
Smart Home Partners
The smart beds are capable of communicating with other smart devices in the house. Devices like Alexa, Siri, IFTTT, Google Home, etc., makes it possible to issue spoken commands.
They help users monitor how long and well they sleep.
The sensors in the bed monitor heart rates while sleeping.
They monitor breathing rate and note if there’s any irregularity.
Does it track zones/sides
They monitor and control the separate sides/zones of the mattress for each bed partner.
The smart beds can be controlled from any connected smart device anywhere in the house.
Not all smart mattresses support massage features.
Not all models or types support USB chargers.
Automatic under-bed nightlight
Some smart mattresses have automatic under-bed light features.
While all the smart mattresses listed here have their various appeals, the Eight Sleep Jupiter+ stands out from the rest. It has sleep tracking and heat control features and works quite well with Alexa and other smart home partners. It’s also easy to use.