If you want to look your best every day, a good set of makeup brushes is a must. They help you achieve the perfect office look and a glamorous evening glow.
There are a lot of bushes and brush sets out there, with different features and in all price ranges. How do you choose the right one?
Don't worry, because we've done the work of sifting through a pile of these and narrowed them down to the top five.
Best of all, we know that everyone's on a budget these days, so we kept everything on our list to $20 or less. Our top five choices prove that you don't have to spend a fortune for top-quality brushes that will make you gorgeous.
Top 5: Makeup Brush Sets Review
Product Image & Rating (Out Of 10)
Give your vanity or bathroom a luxe touch with this glowing, golden set of matched brushes. This set includes everything you need to create a flawless makeup look, including foundation brushes and brushes designed especially for mineral foundations.
Each brush is made of pale, blond wood with gold-colored clasps and hardware. The bristles are cream-colored. The color blend gives this set a glamorous look that you'll enjoy using every day.
The bristles are synthetic and cruelty-free. The set comes with a brush holder made of sturdy cardboard with a faux-leather cover in cream. It makes a great matching piece for the set. Sweep your brushes into this container to keep them neat and contained.
This Matto 10-Piece Golden Makeup Set gets consistent five-star reviews from users.
If you like the feel of fat brushes in your hand, these Kabuki-style makeup brushes are right up your alley. This sleek-looking set is dramatic and stylish. The brushes have wide, thick handles in a matte black. The rose-gold ferrules are stylish and look great against the black handles.
Five of the brushes are large, with extra-large bristle heads in black and white. The set also comes with nine precision brushes that you can use for lining, corners and angles.
This BS-MALL Makeup Brush Set gets excellent reviews and is a good bargain.
These sturdy brushes are handmade in premium, sustainable bamboo by a professional makeup artist. They are ideal if you like minimal, naturalistic styles. Their elegantly simple style will go well anywhere.
The brush set includes everything you need for a full makeup, including a combined eyelash comb and eyebrow brush. The synthetic bristles are very soft and the handle design is easy to grasp and use. This is a simple, streamlined set of brushes that will blend in with your changing styles over the years.
This set comes in alternate version that includes a foundation blender sponge in your choice of colors for $1.00 extra. The sponge is latex-free, making it a good choice for people with allergies.
This EMaxDesign 12-Piece Makeup Brush Set also comes with a cute, orange-colored drawstring pouch to carry them in. It gets very good reviews and is a great value.
This sleek, shiny set has a definite touch of Art Deco glamour that will add instant style to your makeup counter. The shiny black handles are set off with shiny aluminum ferrules and soft, thick bristles.
The standout feature on this set is that it includes two foundation blenders. You can use these for different makeup applications and both are latex-free.
These are pretty cheap for a full set, these cute-looking Beakey Makeup Brushes are a good value.
Get ready to tackle every glamourous event on your calendar with this full set of brushes. The 32 pieces include fan brushes in various sizes, eyeshadow sponges, eyebrow comb, eyelash brushes and more.
This brush set has enough items to let you and a friend get glammed up for the night, with everything you need to line, shade and contour. The brushes are simply designed in solid black handles with black bristles. It's a set that will go anywhere and match any décor.
This USpicy Makeup Set also comes with a very nice pouch in synthetic crocodile. It folds up into an attractive clutch that you can take on the road.
You get 32 brushes and the pouch.
makeup brush set Buying Guide
They make applying foundation, shadow liner easy. Brushes give you controlled, professional-looking results that are easy to blend and shade. The tiny applicators that you get with your makeup are almost useless. They're too small and usually made of cheap fibers.
You'll have a much easier time using actual makeup brushes. Even if you're skilled at applying makeup, using brushes will take your skills to the next level. You can look amazing every day with a professional-quality set of makeup brushes.
Here are some point to remember when buying makeup brushes.
You'll reach for your brushes every day. Make sure they can hold up to heavy daily use. Your brushes should have a minimal number of parts and strong ferrules. Flimsy brushes won't go the distance with you.
Softness is perhaps the most important quality. You never want to use a brush that is stiff or hard on your face. Your makeup won't go on correctly and you'll irritate your skin. A soft brush lets you blend, shade and add powder without matting or spotting.
Good products should not shed fibers all over your face and clothes. Make sure you buy brushes that get good reviews for not leaving unwanted bristle traces all over.
This is subjective, and everyone's taste is different. That said, a makeup set that you love looking at it will lift your spirits and be more fun to use.
best makeup brush set
All of these brush sets have great features. They are reasonably priced, soft, well-made and stylish. At first glance, the Matto 10-Piece Set stands out as a set with many great features, solid five-star reviews and few drawbacks.
Despite that, we've selected the EmaxDesign 12-Piece Makeup Brush Set as the best overall value. This set has everything you need in a makeup brush set plus a foundation sponge as an option. It has outstanding reviews, is made from renewable bamboo and is available at an excellent price.
The EmaxDesign is our top choice, but you really can't go wrong with any of these sets. You can purchase any of these sets from Amazon. Enjoy creating beautiful makeup looks with a new makeup brush set.
Commonly Asked Questions
What are the different types of makeup brushes?
There are many different types of makeup brushes. Each serves its own purpose, so knowing what the different types are can help you when selecting brushes for your personal use.
Below are the different types of makeup brushes you may see and what they are used for:
- Foundation brush: Foundation brushes are essential when applying foundation. They are designed with flexible and soft bristles that will help you apply your foundation evenly.
- Blush brush: Blush brushes have a smaller, dome-shaped head to help you evenly apply blush to your cheeks and prevent that caked-on look. You may see some blush brushes with an angled head. These are designed to help you achieve a more precise look.
- Concealer brush: Concealer is used to hide any imperfections in your skin or help make dull spots look bright. Using a concealer brush designed specifically for this task will help ensure you get the look you want. Concealer brushes have a paintbrush-looking design with denser bristles to help you provide coverage for the areas you want.
- Powder brush: If you like to cover your base with some powder to help ensure you make up stays on all day, you'll like want a powder brush. They have a larger head shaped like a dome to help you make sure the powder is evenly applied over your entire face.
- Stippling brush: Stippling brushes can be used for a variety of tasks. They can give your skin an airbrushed look when applying foundation, powder, bronzer, brush, or highlighters. Since these brushes are designed with duo-fiber bristles, they are able to lightly apply makeup, giving your skin a more natural look.
- Bronzer brush: Bronzer brushes look very similar to a blush brush, but they are wider and fluffier. This design helps ensure your bronzer will be evenly applied and won't get too thick on any one area of your face.
- Highlight brush: If you've seen a makeup brush with a fan shape, it is probably a highlight brush. The brushes fanned-out design allows you to apply a highlighter evenly and subtly.
- Contour brush: As you may have guessed, a contour brush is designed for contouring. While you could use a foundation or a blush brush for this take, your results will be more precise and you'll enjoy a more sculpted look if you use an actual contour brush. These brushes have angled bristles that are quite dense to help you achieve the look you'll want.
- Eyeshadow brush: An eyeshadow brush is designed for applying eyeshadow to the upper part of your eyelids. These brushes have a small and compact design with dense bristles.
- Eyeshadow crease brush: Eyeshadow crease brushes have dense and angled bristles to help you control your application of eyeshadow to the creases of your eyelids.
- Eyeshadow blending brush: Eyeshadow blending brushes are important to help you blend the eyeshadow on your lids and creases to achieve a cleaner look.
- Mascara brush: Mascara brushes have lots of small bristles that stick out in all directions. The bristles are firm and should fit between your eyelashes to help you properly apply your mascara.
- Lip brush: A lip brush can allow you to achieve a more defined look on your lips that you'd be able to get using a lipstick applicator. This brush type is thin and has very small bristles.
- Eye liner brush: Eyeliner brushes can be used for applying both liquid and gel liners. They have an angled design with short and dense bristles.
How many makeup brushes do you need?
Even though there are tons of different types of makeup brushes, it is unlikely that you'll need one of every type. You will want to think about the types of makeup you wear and prioritize which brushes you purchase. Most people find a foundation brush, concealer brush, contour brush, powder brush, blush brush, and eyeshadow brush to be perfectly sufficient for their makeup needs.
Now, if you are a makeup artist or are trying to really refine your makeup skills, you may want to consider adding a few additional brushes to your collection.
How many makeup brushes come in a set?
The number of makeup brushes that will be included in a brush set can vary. You can find some sets that offer a wide selection of brushes designed for applying make up to your whole face, while other sets may only include brushes for a specific purpose, such as applying makeup to your eyes.
When choosing a set, think about the brush types that will be most important to you. What types of makeup do you wear? Do you seem to focus more on eye makeup, face makeup, or both?
What are makeup brushes made from?
There are two main materials used when making makeup brushes: natural bristles and synthetic bristles. Animal hair is used to make natural bristles, while synthetic brushes are made using man-made bristles.
In general, natural brushes are the best choice is you're using powdered makeup. Their textured designed and free movements can help you make sure you grab enough make up with the brush and then are able to apply it evenly to your face.
On the other hand, you may want to opt for synthetic brushes is you use liquid or cream products. The bristles on these brushes often stay closer together, which can help ensure your makeup application is detailed and exact.
How do you clean a makeup brush?
Makeup brushes can accumulate makeup, which can impact their performance. Bacteria can also build-up on the brushes. For these reasons, it is important to clean your makeup brushes on a regular basis.
Regular cleaning of your brushes will also help ensure that they stay in good shape and will help them last longer.
A very gentle cleanser or baby shampoo should be used to clean your brushes. Use your fingers to lather the cleanser on the brushes to help release and remove the makeup. After lathering the cleanser, gently rub the brush in a blow to get any built-up makeup off of it.
Rinse the brush thoroughly to remove all of the soap. You may need to repeat this process a few times to make sure all of the makeup is removed from the brush.
After all of your brushes have been clean, lay them out on a towel to dry. Be sure to gently move the bristles to get the brushes back to their original shape before walking away to let them dry. You should also allow the bristles to hang over the edge of the table so they will return to their original shape.
When cleaning your brushes, you should not leave them to soak in water or cleanser. Doing so will allow water to get into the brush's handle. This will loosen the glue holding the brush together, which may make your whole brush fall apart.
Does it matter what size makeup brush you use?
The size of the handle is a more of a personal preference. Choose a length and a width that feels comfortable to hold and helps you feel in control of the brush. If you'll be packing your brushes frequently for travel, you may want to opt for a more compact design that will fit into your suitcase more easily.
As for the length of the bristles, the size does matter and will impact how the makeup goes on and the look you are able to achieve. Shorter bristles are best if you are going for a full coverage look, while longer bristles will help you achieve a softer, more natural look.
How often should you replace makeup brushes?
The amount of time your brushes will last will vary based on use and quality. It is probably time to replace your brush if you notice any of the following:
- Cracked or broken handle
- Shedding bristles
- Built-up make up that won't come off with cleaning
- Discolored bristles
- Smelly bristles
Do makeup brush sets come with a case?
Many makeup brush sets come with a case, but you will want to confirm that before purchasing a specific product.
How much does a set of makeup brushes cost?
You can find makeup brush sets that cost as little as $10 to sets that cost well over $100. The brand, quality of the brushes, and number of brushes in the set will impact the price you pay.
Benefits of Makeup Brush Sets
Rather than spending hours looking for each individual brush that you need, a full set allows you to get all the basics to get yourself started. You don't have to remember what to buy because it's probably right in your set. If you need specialty brushes later, you can always buy them separately.
Brush sets that come in a carry pouch or box are easy to organize and easy to take with you. You can stow your brushes away to make your bathroom or vanity look neat.